New International Version
"He has alienated my family from me; my acquaintances are completely estranged from me.
King James Bible
He hath put my brethren far from me, and mine acquaintance are verily estranged from me.
Darby Bible Translation
He hath put my brethren far from me, and mine acquaintance are quite estranged from me.
World English Bible
"He has put my brothers far from me. My acquaintances are wholly estranged from me.
Young's Literal Translation
My brethren from me He hath put far off, And mine acquaintances surely Have been estranged from me.
Job 19:13 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
And he counteth me unto him as one of his enemies - From the seventh to the thirteenth verse there seems to be an allusion to a hostile invasion, battles, sieges, etc.
1. A neighboring chief, without provocation, invades his neighbor's territories, and none of his friends will come to his help. "I cry out of wrong, but I am not heard," Job 19:7.
2. The foe has seized on all the passes, and he is hemmed up. "He hath fenced up my way that I cannot pass," Job 19:8.
3. He has surprised and carried by assault the regal city, seized and possessed the treasures. "He hath stripped me of my glory, and taken the crown from my head," Job 19:9.
4. All his armies are routed in the field, and his strong places carried. "He hath destroyed me on every side," Job 19:10.
5. The enemy proceeds to the greatest length of outrage, wasting every thing with fire and sword. "He hath kindled his wrath against me, and treateth me like one of his adversaries, Job 19:11.
6. He is cooped up in a small camp with the wrecks of his army; and in this he is closely besieged by all the power of his foes, who encompass the place, and raise forts against it. "His troops come together, and raise up their way against me, and encamp round about my tabernacle."
7. Not receiving any assistance from friends or neighbors, he abandons all hope of being able to keep the field, escapes with the utmost difficulty, and is despised and neglected by his friends and domestics because he has been unfortunate. "I am escaped with the skin of my teeth," Job 19:20. "My kinsfolk have failed-all my intimate friends abhorred me," Job 19:14-19.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
put my brethren
LibraryJune 28 Morning
I know that my Redeemer liveth.--JOB 19:25. If, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.--This man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. Because I live, ye shall live also.--If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. …
Anonymous—Daily Light on the Daily Path
I Know that My Redeemer Liveth
Whether the Dead Can be Assisted by the Works of the Living?
Heralds of the Morning
Surely, God, you have worn me out; you have devastated my entire household.
My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God;
All his brothers and sisters and everyone who had known him before came and ate with him in his house. They comforted and consoled him over all the trouble the LORD had brought on him, and each one gave him a piece of silver and a gold ring.
Because of all my enemies, I am the utter contempt of my neighbors and an object of dread to my closest friends-- those who see me on the street flee from me.
Even my close friend, someone I trusted, one who shared my bread, has turned against me.
I am a foreigner to my own family, a stranger to my own mother's children;
You have taken from me my closest friends and have made me repulsive to them. I am confined and cannot escape;
Jump to PreviousAcquaintance Acquaintances Alienated Completely Estranged Far Fate Quite Removed Strange Surely Verily Wholly
Jump to NextAcquaintance Acquaintances Alienated Completely Estranged Far Fate Quite Removed Strange Surely Verily Wholly
LinksJob 19:13 NIV
Job 19:13 NLT
Job 19:13 ESV
Job 19:13 NASB
Job 19:13 KJV
Job 19:13 Bible Apps
Job 19:13 Biblia Paralela
Job 19:13 Chinese Bible
Job 19:13 French Bible
Job 19:13 German Bible
Job 19:13 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.