New International Version
These are the offerings you are to receive from them: gold, silver and bronze;
King James Bible
And this is the offering which ye shall take of them; gold, and silver, and brass,
Darby Bible Translation
And this is the heave-offering that ye shall take of them: gold, and silver, and copper,
World English Bible
This is the offering which you shall take from them: gold, silver, brass,
Young's Literal Translation
And this is the heave-offering which ye take from them; gold, and silver, and brass,
Exodus 25:3 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
This is the offering - There were three kinds of metals:
1. Gold, זהב zahab, which may properly signify wrought gold; what was bright and resplendent, as the word implies. In Job 28:15, Job 28:16, Job 28:17, Job 28:19, gold is mentioned five times, and four of the words are different in the original.
1. סגור Segor, from סגר sagar, to shut up; gold in the mine, or shut up in its ore.
2. כתם Kethem, from כתם catham, to sign, seal, or stamp; gold made current by being coined; standard or sterling gold, exhibiting the stamp expressive of its value.
3. זהב Zahab, wrought gold, pure, highly polished gold; probably what was used for overlaying or gilding.
4. פז Paz, denoting solidity, compactness, and strength; probably gold formed into different kinds of plate, as it is joined in Exodus 25:17 of the above chapter with כלי keley, vessels. The zahab, or pure gold, is here mentioned, because it was in a state that rendered it capable of being variously manufactured for the service of the sanctuary.
2. Silver, כסף keseph, from casaph, to be pale, wan, or white; so called from its well-known color.
3. Brass, נחשת nechosheth, copper; unless we suppose that the factitious metal commonly called brass is intended: this is formed by a combination of the oxide or ore of zinc, called lapis calaminaris, with copper. Brass seems to have been very anciently in use, as we find it mentioned Genesis 4:22; and the preparation of copper, to transform it into this factitious metal, seems to be very pointedly referred to Job 28:2 : Iron is taken out of the earth, and brass is molten out of the stone; אבן יצוק נחושה eben yatsuk nechushah, translated by the Vulgate, Lapis, solutus calore, in aes vertitur, "The stone, liquefied by heat, is turned into brass." Is it going too far to say that the stone here may refer to the lapis calaminaris, which was used to turn the copper into brass? Because brass was capable of so fine a polish as to become exceedingly bright, and keep its lustre a considerable time, hence it was used for all weapons of war and defensive armor among ancient nations; and copper seems to have been in no repute, but for its use in making brass.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
brass. Nechosheth, rather copper; as brass is a factitious metal, composed of copper, and the oxide or ore of zinc, called lapis calaminaris.
LibraryThe Bread of the Presence
'Thou shalt set upon the table shew-bread before Me alway.'--EXODUS xxv. 30. I suspect that to many readers the term 'shew-bread' conveys little more meaning than if the Hebrew words had been lifted over into our version. The original expression, literally rendered, is 'bread of the face'; or, as the Revised Version has it in the margin, 'presence bread,' and the meaning of that singular designation is paraphrased and explained in my text: 'Thou shalt set upon the table, bread of the presence before …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
April the Thirteenth Pure Gold
Man's Chief End
"Tell the Israelites to bring me an offering. You are to receive the offering for me from everyone whose heart prompts them to give.
blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen; goat hair;
Have them use gold, and blue, purple and scarlet yarn, and fine linen.
Jump to PreviousBrass Bronze Contribution Copper Gold Heave-Offering Offering Offerings Raise Receive Silver
Jump to NextBrass Bronze Contribution Copper Gold Heave-Offering Offering Offerings Raise Receive Silver
LinksExodus 25:3 NIV
Exodus 25:3 NLT
Exodus 25:3 ESV
Exodus 25:3 NASB
Exodus 25:3 KJV
Exodus 25:3 Bible Apps
Exodus 25:3 Biblia Paralela
Exodus 25:3 Chinese Bible
Exodus 25:3 French Bible
Exodus 25:3 German Bible
Exodus 25:3 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.