New International Version
"When famine or plague comes to the land, or blight or mildew, locusts or grasshoppers, or when an enemy besieges them in any of their cities, whatever disaster or disease may come,
King James Bible
If there be in the land famine, if there be pestilence, blasting, mildew, locust, or if there be caterpiller; if their enemy besiege them in the land of their cities; whatsoever plague, whatsoever sickness there be;
Darby Bible Translation
If there be famine in the land, if there be pestilence, if there be blight, mildew, locust, caterpillar; if their enemy besiege them in the land of their gates; whatever plague, whatever sickness there be:
World English Bible
"If there is famine in the land, if there is pestilence, if there is blight, mildew, locust or caterpillar; if their enemy besieges them in the land of their cities; whatever plague, whatever sickness there is;
Young's Literal Translation
Famine -- when it is in the land; pestilence -- when it is; blasting, mildew, locust; caterpillar -- when it is; when its enemy hath distressed it in the land in its gates, any plague, any sickness, --
1 Kings 8:37 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
If there be in the land famine - pestilence - The Fourth case includes several kinds of evils:
1. Famine; a scarcity or total want of bread, necessarily springing from the preceding cause, drought.
2. Pestilence; any general and contagious disease.
3. Blasting; any thing by which the crops are injured, so that the ear is never matured; but instead of wholesome grain, there is a black offensive dust.
4. Mildew; any thing that vitiates or corrodes the texture of the stalk, destroys the flowers and blossoms, or causes the young shaped fruits to fall off their stems.
5. Locust, a well known curse in the East, a species of grasshopper that multiplies by millions, and covers the face of the earth for many miles square, destroying every green thing; leaving neither herb nor grass upon the earth, nor leaf nor bark upon the trees.
6. Caterpillar; the locust in its young or nympha state. The former refers to locusts brought by winds from other countries and settling on the land; the latter, to the young locusts bred in the land.
7. An enemy, having attacked their defenced cities, the keys and barriers of the land.
8. Any other kind of plague; that which affects the surface of the body; blotch, blain, leprosy, ophthalmia, etc.
9. Sickness; whatever impaired the strength, or affected the intestines, disturbing or destroying their natural functions.
All such cases were to be brought before the Lord, the persons having a deep sense of the wickedness which induced God thus to afflict, or permit them to be afflicted: for only those who knew the plague of their own hearts, (1 Kings 8:38), the deep-rooted moral corruption of their nature, and the destructive nature and sinfulness of sin, were likely to pray in such a manner as to induce God to hear and forgive.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
in the land famine
cities. or, jurisdiction
Library'The Matter of a Day in Its Day'
'At all times, as the matter shall require.'--1 KINGS viii. 59. I have ventured to diverge from my usual custom, and take this fragment of a text because, in the forcible language of the original, it carries some very important lessons. The margin of our Bible gives the literal reading of the Hebrew; the sense, but not the vigorous idiom, of which is conveyed in the paraphrase in our version. 'At all times, as the matter shall require,' is, literally, 'the thing of a day in its day'; and that is …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
The Next Words Are, which Art in Heaven. ...
The Whole Heart
The Gospel of John
then I will do this to you: I will bring on you sudden terror, wasting diseases and fever that will destroy your sight and sap your strength. You will plant seed in vain, because your enemies will eat it.
And I will bring the sword on you to avenge the breaking of the covenant. When you withdraw into your cities, I will send a plague among you, and you will be given into enemy hands.
The LORD will plague you with diseases until he has destroyed you from the land you are entering to possess.
You will sow much seed in the field but you will harvest little, because locusts will devour it.
1 Kings 8:38
and when a prayer or plea is made by anyone among your people Israel--being aware of the afflictions of their own hearts, and spreading out their hands toward this temple--
He gave their crops to the grasshopper, their produce to the locust.
Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.
Jump to PreviousBesiege Blasting Blight Caterpillar Cities Damaged Disaster Disease Earth Enemy Famine Food Fruits Grasshopper Grasshoppers Heat Locust Mildew Pestilence Plague Shut Sickness Towns Trouble Water Whatever Whatsoever Worm
Jump to NextBesiege Blasting Blight Caterpillar Cities Damaged Disaster Disease Earth Enemy Famine Food Fruits Grasshopper Grasshoppers Heat Locust Mildew Pestilence Plague Shut Sickness Towns Trouble Water Whatever Whatsoever Worm
Links1 Kings 8:37 NIV
1 Kings 8:37 NLT
1 Kings 8:37 ESV
1 Kings 8:37 NASB
1 Kings 8:37 KJV
1 Kings 8:37 Bible Apps
1 Kings 8:37 Biblia Paralela
1 Kings 8:37 Chinese Bible
1 Kings 8:37 French Bible
1 Kings 8:37 German Bible
1 Kings 8:37 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.