New American Standard Bible
"For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, 'BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD!'"
King James Bible
For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.
Darby Bible Translation
for I say unto you, Ye shall in no wise see me henceforth until ye say, Blessed be he that comes in the name of the Lord.
World English Bible
For I tell you, you will not see me from now on, until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!'"
Young's Literal Translation
for I say to you, ye may not see me henceforth, till ye may say, Blessed is he who is coming in the name of the Lord.'
Matthew 23:39 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
Ye shall not see me ... - The day of your mercy is gone by. I have offered you protection and salvation, and you have rejected it. You are about to crucify me, and your temple to be destroyed, and you, as a nation, to be given up to long and dreadful suffering. You will not see me as a merciful Saviour, offering you redemption any more, until you have borne these heavy judgments. They must come upon you, and be borne, until you would be glad to hail a deliverer, and say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. Blessed be he that comes as the Messiah, to bring deliverance. This has not been yet accomplished, but the days will come when the Jews, long cast out and rejected, will hail Jesus as the Messiah, and receive him whom their fathers killed as the merciful Saviour, Romans 11:25-32.
Remarks On Matthew 23
1. Proper respect should always be shown to teachers and rulers, Matthew 23:3.
2. We are not to copy the example of wicked people, though they are our teachers or rulers, Matthew 23:3. We are to frame our conduct by the law of God, and not by the example of people.
3. People are often very rigid in exacting of others what they fail altogether of performing themselves, Matthew 23:4.
4. We are not to seek human honors Matthew 23:8, nor to give flattering titles to others, nor to allow others to give them to us Matthew 23:9. Our highest honor is in humility, and he is most exalted who is most lowly, Matthew 23:11-12.
5. In the descriptions of the scribes and Pharisees in this chapter, we have a full-length portrait of a hypocrite.
(1) they shut up the kingdom of heaven against others, Matthew 23:13. They made great pretensions to knowledge, but they neither entered in themselves, nor suffered others.
(2) they committed the grossest iniquity under a cloak of religion, Matthew 23:14. They cheated widows out of their property, and made long prayers to hide their villainy.
(3) they showed great zeal in making proselytes, yet did it only for gain, and made them more wicked, Matthew 23:15.
(4) they taught false doctrine, and they resorted to artful contrivances to destroy the force of oaths, and to shut out the Creator from their view, Matthew 23:16-22.
(5) they were superstitious, Matthew 23:23. Small matters they were exact in; matters of real importance they cared little about.
(6) they took great pains to appear well, while they themselves knew that it was all deceit and falsehood, Matthew 23:25-28.
(7) they professed great veneration for the memory of the pious dead, while at the same time they were conscious that they really approved the conduct of those that killed them, Matthew 23:29-31.
LibraryChristianity Misunderstood by Believers.
Meaning of Christian Doctrine, Understood by a Minority, has Become Completely Incomprehensible for the Majority of Men-- Reason of this to be Found in Misinterpretation of Christianity and Mistaken Conviction of Believers and Unbelievers Alike that they Understand it--The Meaning of Christianity Obscured for Believers by the Church--The First Appearance of Christ's Teaching--Its Essence and Difference from Heathen Religions-- Christianity not Fully Comprehended at the Beginning, Became More and …
Leo Tolstoy—The Kingdom of God is within you
Relation of the Pharisees to the Sadducees and Essenes, and to the Gospel of Christ
Subjects of Study. Home Education in Israel; Female Education. Elementary Schools, Schoolmasters, and School Arrangements.
Letter Xliv Concerning the Maccabees but to whom Written is Unknown.
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the LORD; We have blessed you from the house of the LORD.
The crowds going ahead of Him, and those who followed, were shouting, "Hosanna to the Son of David; BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD; Hosanna in the highest!"
Jump to PreviousBlessed Blessing Henceforth Time Wise
Jump to NextBlessed Blessing Henceforth Time Wise
LinksMatthew 23:39 NIV
Matthew 23:39 NLT
Matthew 23:39 ESV
Matthew 23:39 NASB
Matthew 23:39 KJV
Matthew 23:39 Bible Apps
Matthew 23:39 Biblia Paralela
Matthew 23:39 Chinese Bible
Matthew 23:39 French Bible
Matthew 23:39 German Bible
Matthew 23:39 Commentaries