New American Standard Bible
and they could not find anything that they might do, for all the people were hanging on to every word He said.
King James Bible
And could not find what they might do: for all the people were very attentive to hear him.
Darby Bible Translation
and did not find what they could do, for all the people hung on him to hear.
World English Bible
They couldn't find what they might do, for all the people hung on to every word that he said.
Young's Literal Translation
and they were not finding what they shall do, for all the people were hanging on him, hearing him.
Luke 19:48 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
Could not find ... - Were not able to accomplish their purpose; they did not know "how" to bring it about.
Very attentive - literally, "hung upon him" to hear him. The word denotes an anxious desire, a fixed attention, a cleaving to him, and an unwillingness to "leave" him, so that they might hear his words. This is always the case when people become anxious about their salvation. They manifest it by hanging on the preaching of the gospel; by fixed attention; and by an unwillingness to leave the place where the word of God is preached. In view of the fact that the Lord Jesus wept over Jerusalem, we may remark:
(1) It was on account of the sins and danger of the inhabitants, and of the fact that they had rejected offered mercy.
(2) there was "occasion" for weeping. Jesus would not have wept had there been no cause for it. If they were in no danger, if there was no punishment in the future world, why should he have wept? When the Lord Jesus weeps over sinners, it is the fullest proof that they are in danger.
(3) sinners are in the same danger now. They reject Christ as sinners did then. They despise the gospel as they did then. They refuse now to come to him as the inhabitants of Jerusalem did. Why are they not then in the same danger?
(4) deep feeling, gushing emotions, lively affections, are proper in religion. If the Saviour wept, it is not improper for us to weep - it is right. Nay, can it be right "not" to weep over the condition of lost man.
(5) Religion is tenderness and love. It led the Saviour to weep, and it teaches us to sympathize and to feel deeply. Sin hardens the heart, and makes it insensible to every pure and noble emotion; but religion teaches us to feel "for others' woes," and to sympathize in the danger of others.
(6) Christians and Christian ministers should weep over lost sinners. They have souls just as precious as they had then; they are in the same danger; they are going to the judgment-bar; they are wholly insensible to their danger and their duty.
"Did Christ o'er sinners weep?
And shall our cheeks be dry?
Let floods of penitential grief.
Burst forth from every eye.
"The Son of God in tears.
Angels with wonder see!
LibraryThe Kingdom of Christ
LUKE xix. 41. And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it. Let us think awhile what was meant by our Lord's weeping over Jerusalem. We ought to learn thereby somewhat more of our Lord's character, and of our Lord's government. Why did he weep over that city whose people would, in a few days, mock him, scourge him, crucify him, and so fill up the measure of their own iniquity? Had Jesus been like too many, who since his time have fancied themselves saints and prophets, would …
Charles Kingsley—Discipline and Other Sermons
The Rewards of the Trading Servants
Ciii. Zacchæus. Parable of the Pounds. Journey to Jerusalem.
And He was teaching daily in the temple; but the chief priests and the scribes and the leading men among the people were trying to destroy Him,
On one of the days while He was teaching the people in the temple and preaching the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes with the elders confronted Him,
Jump to PreviousAble Attentive Couldn't Find Finding Greatly Hanging Hear Hearing Hung Interested Kept Lips Way Word Words
Jump to NextAble Attentive Couldn't Find Finding Greatly Hanging Hear Hearing Hung Interested Kept Lips Way Word Words
LinksLuke 19:48 NIV
Luke 19:48 NLT
Luke 19:48 ESV
Luke 19:48 NASB
Luke 19:48 KJV
Luke 19:48 Bible Apps
Luke 19:48 Biblia Paralela
Luke 19:48 Chinese Bible
Luke 19:48 French Bible
Luke 19:48 German Bible
Luke 19:48 Commentaries