New American Standard Bible
"I sent you to reap that for which you have not labored; others have labored and you have entered into their labor."
King James Bible
I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.
Darby Bible Translation
I have sent you to reap that on which ye have not laboured; others have laboured, and ye have entered into their labours.
World English Bible
I sent you to reap that for which you haven't labored. Others have labored, and you have entered into their labor."
Young's Literal Translation
I sent you to reap that on which ye have not laboured; others laboured, and ye into their labour have entered.
John 4:38 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
I sent you - In the commission given you to preach the gospel. You have not labored or toiled in preparing the way for the great harvest which is now to be gathered in.
Other men laboured -
(1) The prophets, who long labored to prepare the way for the coming of the Messiah.
(2) the teachers among the Jews, who have read and explained the law and taught the people.
(3) John the Baptist, who came to prepare the way. And,
(4) The Saviour himself, who by his personal ministry taught the people, and prepared them for the success which was to attend the preaching of the apostles.
Especially did Jesus lay the foundation for the rapid and extensive spread of the gospel. "He" saw comparatively little fruit of his ministry. He confined his labors to Judea, and even there he was occupied in sowing seed which chiefly sprang up after his death. From this we may learn:
1. That the man who is crowned with eminent success has no cause of "boasting" over others, any more than the man who reaps a field of grain should boast over the man who sowed it. The labor of both is equally necessary, and the labor of both would be useless if God did not give the increase. Compare 1 Corinthians 3:6.
2. We should not be discouraged if we do not meet with immediate success. The man that sows is not disheartened because he does not see the harvest "immediately" spring up. We are to sow our seed in the morning, and in the evening we are not to withhold our hand, for we know not whether shall prosper, this or that; and we are to go forth bearing precious seed, though "weeping," knowing that we shall come again rejoicing, bearing our sheaves with us, Ecclesiastes 11:4; Psalm 126:6.
3. Every part of the work of the ministry and of teaching men is needful, and we should rejoice that we are permitted to bear any part, however humble, in bringing sinners to the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, 1 Corinthians 12:21-24.
LibrarySeptember 29 Morning
Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us.--I JOHN 3:16. The love of Christ, which passeth knowledge.--Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.--Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.--Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as …
Anonymous—Daily Light on the Daily Path
February 1 Morning
February 23 Evening
December 25 Morning
"For in this case the saying is true, 'One sows and another reaps.'
From that city many of the Samaritans believed in Him because of the word of the woman who testified, "He told me all the things that I have done."
"As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
2 Corinthians 10:15
not boasting beyond our measure, that is, in other men's labors, but with the hope that as your faith grows, we will be, within our sphere, enlarged even more by you,
Jump to PreviousBenefit Benefits Bestowed Entered Getting Grain Hand Hard Harvest Labored Laboured Others Planting Reap Reaped Result Reward Whereon Work Worked
Jump to NextBenefit Benefits Bestowed Entered Getting Grain Hand Hard Harvest Labored Laboured Others Planting Reap Reaped Result Reward Whereon Work Worked
LinksJohn 4:38 NIV
John 4:38 NLT
John 4:38 ESV
John 4:38 NASB
John 4:38 KJV
John 4:38 Bible Apps
John 4:38 Biblia Paralela
John 4:38 Chinese Bible
John 4:38 French Bible
John 4:38 German Bible
John 4:38 Commentaries