New American Standard Bible
Then they went up from Egypt, and came to the land of Canaan to their father Jacob.
King James Bible
And they went up out of Egypt, and came into the land of Canaan unto Jacob their father,
Darby Bible Translation
And they went up out of Egypt, and came into the land of Canaan to Jacob their father.
World English Bible
They went up out of Egypt, and came into the land of Canaan, to Jacob their father.
Young's Literal Translation
And they go up out of Egypt, and come in to the land of Canaan, unto Jacob their father,
Genesis 45:25 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
The returning brothers inform their father of the existence and elevation of Joseph in Egypt. The aged patriarch is overcome for the moment, but at length awakens to a full apprehension of the joyful news. His heart fainted; ceased to beat for a time, fluttered, sank within him. The news was too good for him to venture all at once to believe it. But the words of Joseph, which they recite, and the wagons which he had sent, at length lead to the conviction that it must be indeed true. He is satisfied. His only thought is to go and see Joseph before he dies. A sorrow of twenty-two years' standing has now been wiped away.
- Jacob Goes Down to Egypt
9. פלוּא pallû', Pallu, "distinguished." חצרן chetsrôn, Chetsron, of the "court," or "village." כרמי karmı̂y, Karmi, "vine-dresser."
10. ימוּאל yemû'êl, Jemuel, "day of El." ימין yâmı̂yn, Jamin, "right hand." אהד 'ôhad, Ohad, "joining together." יכין yâkı̂yn, Jakin, "he shall establish." צחר tsôchar, Tsochar, "whiteness."
11. גרשׁון gêreshôn, Gereshon, "expelling." קהת qehâth, Qehath, "assembly." מררי merârı̂y, Merari, "flowing, bitter."
12. חמוּל châmûl, Chamul, "pitied, treated with mercy."
13. תולע tôlâ‛, Tola', "worm, scarlet." פוּה pû'âh, Puvvah, "mouth?" יוב yôb, Job, "enemy?" שׂמרן śı̂mrôn, Shimron, "watch."
14. סרד sered, Sered, "fear." אלון 'êlôn, Elon, "oak." יחלאל yachle'êl, Jachleel, "El shall sicken or inspire with hope."
16. צפיון tsı̂phyôn, Tsiphjon, "watcher." חגי chaggı̂y, Chaggi, "festive." שׁוּני shûnı̂y, Shuni, "quiet." אצבון 'etsbôn, Etsbon, "toiling?" ערי ‛êrı̂y, 'Eri, "watcher." ארודי 'ǎrôdı̂y, Arodi, rover? אראלי 'ar'êlı̂y, Areli, "lion of El?"
17. ימנה yı̂mnâh, Jimnah, "prosperity." ישׁוה yı̂shvâh, Jishvah, ישׁוי yı̂shvı̂y, Jishvi, "even, level." בריעה berı̂y‛âh, Beri'ah, "in evil." שׂרח śerach, Serach, "overflow." חבר cheber, Cheber, "fellowship." מלכיאל malkı̂y'êl Malkiel, "king of EL"
21. בלע bela‛, Bela', "devouring." בכר beker, Beker, "a young camel." אשׁבל 'ashbêl Ashbel, "short?" גרא gêrâ', Gerah, "a grain." <נעמן na‛ămân, Na'aman, "pleasant." אחי 'êchı̂y Echi, "brotherly?" ראשׁ rô'sh, Rosh, "head." מפים mûppı̂ym, Muppim, חפים chûppı̂ym, Chuppim, "covering." ארד 'ard, Ard, "fugitive, rover."
23. צשׁים chûshı̂ym, Chushim, "haste."
24. יחצאל yachtse'êl, Jachtseel, "El will divide." גוּני gûnı̂y, Guni, "dyed." יצר yêtser, Jetser, "form." שׂלם śı̂llêm, Shillem, "retribution."
The second dream of Joseph is now to receive its fulfillment. His father is to bow down before him. His mother is dead. It is probable that also Leah is deceased. The figure, by which the dream shadows forth the reality, is fulfilled, when the spirit of it receives its accomplishment.
LibraryJesus and his Brethren
"Then Joseph could not refrain himself before all them that stood by him; and he cried, Cause every man to go out from me. And there stood no man with him, while Joseph made himself known unto his brethren. And he wept aloud: and the Egyptians and the house of Pharaoh heard. And Joseph said unto his brethren, I am Joseph; doth my father yet live? And his brethren could not answer him; for they were troubled at his presence. And Joseph said unto his brethren, Come near to me, I pray you. And they …
Charles Haddon Spurgeon—Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 43: 1897
So he sent his brothers away, and as they departed, he said to them, "Do not quarrel on the journey."
They told him, saying, "Joseph is still alive, and indeed he is ruler over all the land of Egypt." But he was stunned, for he did not believe them.
Jump to PreviousCanaan Egypt Jacob
Jump to NextCanaan Egypt Jacob
LinksGenesis 45:25 NIV
Genesis 45:25 NLT
Genesis 45:25 ESV
Genesis 45:25 NASB
Genesis 45:25 KJV
Genesis 45:25 Bible Apps
Genesis 45:25 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 45:25 Chinese Bible
Genesis 45:25 French Bible
Genesis 45:25 German Bible
Genesis 45:25 Commentaries