New American Standard Bible
But some men joined him and believed, among whom also were Dionysius the Areopagite and a woman named Damaris and others with them.
King James Bible
Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.
Darby Bible Translation
But some men joining themselves to him believed; among whom also was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman by name Damaris, and others with them.
World English Bible
But certain men joined with him, and believed, among whom also was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.
Young's Literal Translation
and certain men having cleaved to him, did believe, among whom is also Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman, by name Damaris, and others with them.
Acts 17:34 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
Clave unto him - Adhered to him firmly; embraced the Christian religion.
Dionysius - Nothing more is certainly known of this man than is here stated.
The Areopagite - Connected with the court of Areopagus, but in what way is not known. It is probable that he was one of the judges. The conversion of one man was worth the labor of Paul, and that conversion might have had an extensive influence on others.
In regard to this account of the visit of Paul to Athens probably the only one which he made to that splendid capital - we may remark:
(1) That he was indefatigable and constant in his great work.
(2) Christians, amidst the splendor and gaieties of such cities, should have their hearts deeply affected in view of the moral desolations of the people.
(3) they should be willing to do their duty, and to bear witness to the pure and simple gospel in the presence of the great and the noble.
(4) they should not consider it their main business to admire splendid temples, statues, and paintings - the works of art; but their main business should be to do good as they may have opportunity.
(5) a discourse, even in the midst of such wickedness and idolatry, may be calm and dignified; not an appeal merely to the passions, but to the understanding. Paul reasoned with the philosophers of Athens; he did not denounce them; he endeavored calmly to convince them, not harshly to censure them.
(6) the example of Paul is a good one for all Christians. In all places cities, towns, or country; amidst all people - philosophers, the rich, the poor; among friends and countrymen, or among strangers and foreigners, the great object should be to do good, to instruct mankind, to seek to elevate the human character, and to promote human happiness by diffusing the pare precepts of the gospel of Christ.
LibraryApril 7. "In Him we Live and Move" (Acts xvii. 28).
"In Him we live and move" (Acts xvii. 28). The hand of Gehazi, and even the staff of Elisha could not heal the lifeless boy. It needed the living touch of the prophet's own divinely quickened flesh to infuse vitality into the cold clay. Lip to lip, hand to hand, heart to heart, he must touch the child ere life could thrill his pulseless veins. We must come into personal contact with the risen Saviour, and have His very life quicken our mortal flesh before we can know the fulness and reality of His …
Rev. A. B. Simpson—Days of Heaven Upon Earth
Paul at Athens
St. Justin Martyr (Ad 166)
Whether Idolatry is Rightly Reckoned a Species of Superstition?
And they took him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying, "May we know what this new teaching is which you are proclaiming?
So Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, "Men of Athens, I observe that you are very religious in all respects.
So Paul went out of their midst.
Jump to PreviousAdhered Areopagus Attached Believe Believed Clave Cleaved Council Few Followers Howbeit However Joined Joining Member Others Support Themselves
Jump to NextAdhered Areopagus Attached Believe Believed Clave Cleaved Council Few Followers Howbeit However Joined Joining Member Others Support Themselves
LinksActs 17:34 NIV
Acts 17:34 NLT
Acts 17:34 ESV
Acts 17:34 NASB
Acts 17:34 KJV
Acts 17:34 Bible Apps
Acts 17:34 Biblia Paralela
Acts 17:34 Chinese Bible
Acts 17:34 French Bible
Acts 17:34 German Bible
Acts 17:34 Commentaries