Abijah or Abijam
Smith's Bible DictionaryAbijah or Abijam
(my father is Jehovah).
- Son and successor of Rehoboam on the throne of Judah. (1 Kings 4:21; 2 Chronicles 12:16) He is called ABIA, ABIAH, OR ABIJAH in Chronicles, ABIJAM in Kings. He began to reign B.C. 959, and reigned three years. He endeavored to recover the kingdom of the Ten Tribes, and made war on Jeroboam. He was successful in battle, and took several of the cities of Israel. We are told that he walked in all the sins of Rehoboam. (1 Kings 14:23,24)
- The second son of Samuel, called ABIA, ABIAH, OR ABIJAH, ABIA, COURSE OFH in our version. [ABIA, COURSE OF, ABIA, ABIAH, OR ABIJAH, ABIA, COURSE OFH, No. 3]
- Son of Jeroboam I., king of Israel; died in his childhood. (1 Kings 14:1) ...
- A descendant of Eleazar, who gave his name to the eighth of the 24 courses into which the priests were divided by David. (1 Chronicles 24:10; 2 Chronicles 8:14; Nehemiah 12:4,17)
- One of the priests who entered into a covenant with Nehemiah to walk in God's law, (Nehemiah 10:7) unless the name is rather that of a family, and the same with the preceding.
Strong's Hebrew38. Abiyyam -- "father of (the) sea," an Israelite name... Abijam
. From 'ab and yam; father of (the) sea (ie Seaman); Abijam
king of Judah -- Abijam
. see HEBREW 'ab. see HEBREW yam. 37, 38. Abiyyam. 39 ... /hebrew/38.htm - 6k
The Hebrews and the Philistines --Damascus
History Of Egypt, Chaldaea, Syria, Babylonia, and Assyria, V 6. <. ...
/.../chapter iiithe hebrews and the.htm
Abijah or Abijam
Abijah: Son of Jeroboam
• Bible Dictionary
• Bible Encyclopedia
• Topical Bible
• Bible Thesuarus