And he restored the chief butler to his butlership again; and he gave the cup into Pharaoh's hand:
Jump to: Barnes • Benson • BI • Calvin • Cambridge • Clarke • Darby • Ellicott • Expositor's • Exp Dct • Gaebelein • GSB • Gill • Gray • Haydock • Hastings • Homiletics • JFB • KD • KJT • Lange • MacLaren • MHC • MHCW • Parker • Poole • Pulpit • Sermon • SCO • TTB • WES • TSK
EXPOSITORY (ENGLISH BIBLE)Genesis 40:21. Calmet has observed, that, as Joseph was a type of Christ, so these two officers of Pharaoh point out the two thieves between whom he was crucified; our Lord pardoning the one and condemning the other, as Joseph predicted the butler’s restoration to his office, and the baker’s execution.
- Joseph Was Exalted
1. יאר ye'or, "river, canal," mostly applied to the Nile. Some suppose the word to be Coptic.
2. אחוּ 'āchû, "sedge, reed-grass, marsh-grass." This word is probably Coptic.
8. חרטמים charṭumı̂ym, ἐξηγηταὶ exēgētai, ἱερογραμματεῖς hierogrammateis, "sacred scribes, hieroglyphs." חרט chereṭ "stylus," a graving tool.
43. אברך 'abrēk "bend the knee." In this sense it is put for הברך habrēk imperative hiphil of ברך bārak. Those who take the word to be Coptic render it variously - "bow all, bow the head, cast thyself down."
45. פענח <צפנת tsāpenat-pa‛nēach, Tsaphenath-pa'neach, in the Septuagint ψονθομ-φανήχ Psonthom-Fanēch. "Revelator occulti," Kimchi. This is founded on an attempted Hebrew derivation. Σωτήρ κόσμου Sōtēr kosmou in Oxford MS., "servator mundi," Jerome. These point to a Coptic origin. Recent Egyptologists give P-sont-em-ph-anh, "the-salvation-of-the-life or world." This is a high-flowing title, in keeping with Eastern phraseology. אסנת 'âsnath, Asenath, perhaps belonging to Neith, or worshipper of Neith, a goddess corresponding to Athene of the Greeks. פוטי פרע pôṭı̂y-pera‛, Potiphera', seems to be a variation of פוטיפר Pôṭı̂yphar, Potiphar Genesis 37:36. אן 'ôn or און 'ôn, On equals Oein, "light, sun;" on the monuments TA-RA, "house of the sun." ביתשׁמשׁ bêyth shemesh, Jeremiah 43:13, Heliopolis, north of Memphis, on the east bank of the Nile.
51. מנשׁה menasheh, Menasheh, "causing to forget."
52. אפרים 'eprâyı̂m Ephraim, "double fruit."
and he gave the cup into Pharaoh's hand; ministered to him in his office the same day, according to his dream and the interpretation of it: the Targum of Jonathan adds this as a reason of his being restored,"because he found that he was not in that counsel,''in which it was consulted to poison Pharaoh; see Gill on Genesis 40:1.And he restored the chief butler unto his butlership again; and he gave the cup into Pharaoh's hand:
EXEGETICAL (ORIGINAL LANGUAGES)Verses 21, 22. - And he restored the chief butler unto his butlership again; and he gave the cup into Pharaoh's hand (literally, Set the cup upon Pharaoh's psalm): but he (i.e. Pharaoh) hanged the chief baker (vide supra, ver. 19): as Joseph had interpreted to them. 2 Kings 25:27). And he added this request (Genesis 40:14): "Only think of me, as it goes well with thee, and show favour to me...for I was stolen (i.e., carried away secretly and by force; I did not abscond because of any crime) out of the land of the Hebrews (the land where the Ibrim live); and here also I have done nothing (committed no crime) for which they should put me into the hole." בּור: the cell, applied to a prison as a miserable hole, because often dry cess-pools were used as prisons.
LinksGenesis 40:21 Interlinear
Genesis 40:21 Parallel Texts
Genesis 40:21 NIV
Genesis 40:21 NLT
Genesis 40:21 ESV
Genesis 40:21 NASB
Genesis 40:21 KJV
Genesis 40:21 Bible Apps
Genesis 40:21 Parallel
Genesis 40:21 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 40:21 Chinese Bible
Genesis 40:21 French Bible
Genesis 40:21 German Bible