and Barnabas having taken him, brought him unto the apostles, and did declare to them how in the way he saw the Lord, and that he spake to him, and how in Damascus he was speaking boldly in the name of Jesus.
Acts 9:27 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Barnabas - brought him to the apostles - That is, to Peter and James; for others of the apostles he saw none, Galatians 1:19. It appears that he went up at this time to Jerusalem merely to see Peter, with whom he abode fifteen days, Galatians 1:18. How it came that the apostles and Church at Jerusalem had not heard of Saul's conversion, which had taken place three years before, is not easy to be accounted for. The following considerations may help;
1. It is certain that intelligence did not travel speedily in those primitive times; there were few open roads, and no regular posts, except those between military stations.
2. Though there were many Jews in Damascus, and several Christians, yet the city was heathen, and under a heathen king, with whom the Jews at Jerusalem could have little commerce.
3. Though Herod had married the daughter of Aretas, yet, as he had put her away, there were great animosities between the two courts, which at last broke out into an open war; this must have prevented all social and commercial intercourse.
4. The Christians were at that time greatly persecuted by the Jews, and therefore the few that dwelt at Damascus could have little connection, if any, with their brethren at Jerusalem.
5. It might be the interest of the Jews at Jerusalem, supposing they had heard of it, to keep the fact of Saul's conversion as quiet as possible, that the Christian cause might not gain credit by it.
6. They might have heard of his conversion; but either did not fully credit what they had heard, or were not satisfied that the person who now presented himself was the man; for it is not likely that all the Christians at Jerusalem had been personally acquainted with Saul.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
Acts 4:36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite...
Acts 11:22,25 Then tidings of these things came to the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas...
Acts 12:25 And Barnabas and Saul returned from Jerusalem, when they had fulfilled their ministry, and took with them John, whose surname was Mark.
Acts 13:2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said...
Acts 15:2,25,26,35-39 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas...
1 Corinthians 9:6 Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working?
Galatians 2:9,13 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me...
Galatians 1:18,19 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and stayed with him fifteen days...
how he had seen.
Acts 9:17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus...
1 Corinthians 15:8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
Acts 9:20-22 And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God...
Acts 4:13,29 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marveled...
Ephesians 6:19,20 And for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel...
Acts 9:27 Parallel CommentariesAccount Apostles Assistance Barnabas Boldly Damascus Declare Declared Described Fear Fearlessly Hearing Hold However Jesus Journey Preached Preaching Related Road Saul Speaking Talked Taught Way WordsAccount Apostles Assistance Barnabas Boldly Damascus Declare Declared Described Fear Fearlessly Hearing Hold However Jesus Journey Preached Preaching Related Road Saul Speaking Talked Taught Way WordsTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
Acts 9:27 Mobile Bible
Acts 9:27 Bible Suite
Acts 9:27 Biblia Paralela
Acts 9:27 Chinese Bible