Helps for the Pulpit
I will scatter them as with an east wind before the enemy; I will show them the back, and not the face, in the day of their calamity.
I. THE CAUSE OF THE EVIL THREATENED.
1. Rejecting the Divine government.
2. Guilty of idolatry.
3. Rejecting the mercy of God.
4. Conduct characterised by the greatest folly.
5. A manifestation of basest ingratitude.
II. THE NATURE OF THE EVIL THREATENED.
1. God sometimes shows His back in a way of mercy (Exodus 33:23; Job 25:9).
2. But this threat is expressive of Divine wrath.
3. The wrath of God is retributive.
4. A final departure.
III. THE TIME WHEN THE EVIL SHALL BE INFLICTED.
1. In the time of adversity.
2. In sickness.
3. When deserted by friends.
4. In old age.
5. In hour of death.
6. At last day.
(Helps for the Pulpit.)
Parallel VersesKJV: I will scatter them as with an east wind before the enemy; I will shew them the back, and not the face, in the day of their calamity.