1 Peter 4:17-19
For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us…
I. OBSERVE BOTH THE MYSTERY AND THE MERCY OF THE BELIEVER'S SUFFERINGS IN THIS WORLD.
1. It is a mystery that God should be pleased to subject His people to suffering.
2. Though we may sometimes deem it a mystery we may readily see that it is a mercy — it is according to the will of God — both as to the end to be answered by it, and as to the measure and degree.
II. THERE IS ONE SUPREME SUBJECT WHICH IN ALL OUR SUFFERINGS SHOULD BE OUR CHIEF CARE — THAT IS THE SOUL.
1. It is infinitely more precious than the body.
2. Everlasting happiness depends upon committing the soul to God now.
III. THE TEXT SHOWS US WHO ALONE IS QUALIFIED TO BE THE KEEPER OF THIS INVALUABLE TREASURE — OUR IMMORTAL SOUL.
1. The soul belongs to God.
2. This Divine and merciful Creator has provided for the keeping of our souls. Sent a Saviour for them — engaged to accept and keep them.
IV. HERE IS AN ACT OF SACRED RESIGNATION AND CONFIDENCE TO WHICH ALL, AND ESPECIALLY ALL SUFFERERS FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS' SAKE, ARE INVITED. Let them commit the keeping of their souls to Him, etc.
1. This is an act of faith resting on His promise of salvation through a Mediator.
2. This act must be accompanied with well-doing. It must be in the way of righteousness.
Parallel VersesKJV: For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?