And it came to pass at the end of two full years, that Pharaoh dreamed: and, behold, he stood by the river.…
1. The dream was formed of elements with which the dreamer was somewhat familiar.
2. The dream was a Divine communication to the mind of a heathen.
3. The dream brought trouble into the heart of a monarch.
4. The dream could only be interpreted by a devout Theist.
I. THE REVOLUTIONS OF PROVIDENCE. Alternations mark the earthly history of the human world.
1. They tend to promote our spiritual discipline.
2. They remind us of the activity of God.
3. They tend to inspire us with a sense of our dependence upon Him.
4. This method tends, moreover, to give a meaning to the Bible.
5. This method often prepares the mind to receive the truths of the Bible.
II. THE ADVANTAGES OF WISDOM.
1. It invested Joseph with a chastened humility of soul.
2. It enabled Joseph to solve the distressing inquiries of the monarch.
3. It exalted Joseph to supremacy in the kingdom.
III. THE DUTY OF RULERS. They should be —
1. How great is the Governor of the world.
2. How worthless the world is without religion.
3. How important to be in fellowship with the great God.
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass at the end of two full years, that Pharaoh dreamed: and, behold, he stood by the river.