These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them…
I. THE CHARACTER OF OUR PRESENT CONDITION.
1. Aliens. Not of same race as world; not having same desires, aims, thoughts, affections.
2. Travellers. Only staying for a time; ever passing on from one stage to another.
II. THE CONSEQUENCES OF THIS STATE.
1. Fearless, independent. The world is almost a matter of indifference. It can neither give nor take away anything worth possessing.
2. Earnest ambition for a better state.
3. Patient resignation. When a state will so soon be over it matters little what is its nature.
III. THE INCUMBENT DUTY. "They confessed." This implies a realisation of the important truth. The great cause of our indifference and negligence and consequent loss is a failure to realise our state and to apprehend what our actions involve.
Parallel VersesKJV: These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.