Declare this in the house of Jacob, and publish it in Judah, saying,…
I. HE COMPLAINS OF THE SHAMEFUL STUPIDITY OF THIS PEOPLE.
1. Their understandings were darkened. Possessing intellectual faculties and capacities, they did not employ and improve them.
2. Their wills were stubborn: not submit to rules of Divine law.
II. HE ASCRIBES THIS TO THE WANT OF THE FEAR OF GOD.
1. If you keep up awe of God you will be observant of what He says.
2. Because we neglect to stir up our wills to holy awe of God we are so apt to rebel.
III. HE SUGGESTS SOME THINGS PROPER TO POSSESS US WITH A HOLY FEAR OF GOD.
1. We must fear the Lord and His greatness. He keeps and manages the sea.
(1) By this we see His universal sovereignty; therefore to be had in reverence.
(2) This shows how easily He could drown the world again by withdrawing His "decree"; therefore we lie continually at His mercy, and should fear to make Him our enemy.
(3) Even the unruly waves obey Him neither revolt not rebel; why, then, should our hearts?
2. We must fear the Lord, and His goodness.
(1) Because He is always doing us good.
(2) Because these blessings are consequent upon His promise.
(3) Because we have such a necessary dependence upon Him.
( M. Henry, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Declare this in the house of Jacob, and publish it in Judah, saying,