The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,…
I. Man in the hand of God as MORALLY DEFECTIVE.
1. Humanity throughout all ages and climes has been defective —
(1) In moral judgment;
(2) In moral affections, and
(3) In moral conduct.
2. How this defection occurred is a question that lands us into the mysterious region whence evil sprang.
II. Man in the hands of God as MORALLY IMPROVABLE.
1. God can improve the "marred" vessel of humanity.
(1) He can emotionally. He has the heart for it. He is great enough in love to forgive the past, and bless the future.
(2) He can magisterially. The mediation of Christ enables Him to do so in a way consistent with the justice of His character, the honour of His government, and the stability of His throne.
(3) He can reformatively. He has all the moral instrumentality necessary to reform the soul.
2. The Gospel is the power of God.
III. Man in the hands of God AS MORALLY FREE.
1. Man is responsible for his conduct. The social history of the world, the universal consciousness of man, and the concurrent teachings of the Bible all show this.
2. Man is responsible for his destiny. Humanity will be "plucked up," and "pulled down" by God, or built up and planted according to its conduct.
Parallel VersesKJV: The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,