You that put far away the evil day, and cause the seat of violence to come near;…
I. ALL MEN HAVE AN EVIL DAY IN THEIR FUTURE. Calamities and trials are common to all. There is one evil day, it is death; but it need not be evil.
II. SOME MEN ADJOURN IN THOUGHT THIS EVIL DAY.
1. Not because they have any doubt as to its advent.
2. Not because they lack reminders of its approach. Why then do they adjourn the thought? The reason is found —
(1) In the strength of our material attachments.
(2) In our lack of interest in the spiritual.
(3) In our dread of the mysterious.
(4) In our conscious unpreparation for the scenes of retribution.
III. NONE WHO ADJOURN THIS EVIL DAY IN THOUGHT CAN DELAY IT IN FACT. These men so ignored their coming calamities that by their conduct they hastened them on. A general truth is suggested here, — That a man who adjourns all thought of his end, will pursue such a course of conduct as will hasten its approach.
Parallel VersesKJV: Ye that put far away the evil day, and cause the seat of violence to come near;