And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For your is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
1. There is no evil in temptation unless complied with.
2. Temptation is a necessary element in a life of probation, such as our life on earth is.
3. It is a useful discipline to brace our energies and increase our strength.
4. If successfully overcome they confirm our graces and become helps in the way to heaven.God may be said to lead us into temptation —
1. By the dispensations of His providence.
2. By giving Satan permission to tempt us.
3. When He leaves us to ourselves.Lessons:
1. To know and acknowledge our own weakness.
2. Temptation not a thing to be courted, but feared.
3. Cannot be avoided by the saintliest.
4. Are under God's control.
5. We must pray against temptations, especially such aa we feel we are most likely to fall under.
6. To prayer we must add watchfulness.
7. We must avoid the seducing opportunities of evil.
8. How many lead themselves into temptation.
9. We must be content to deny ourselves some things that are lawful if we would not be lead to the commission of what is unlawful,
10. We mast be jealous about the approaches of temptation.
11. We must beware of little temptations.
12. We must listen to the slightest whispers of conscience.
13. We must remember "the devil varies his temptations to suit the changing circumstances of our life.
14. The consciousness of our own individual danger must not make us insensible to the need of our brethren.
Parallel VersesKJV: And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.