2 Peter 1:16-20
For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ…
I. The Divine revelation which he had on the holy mount was CERTIFYING.
II. The Divine revelation which he had in the inspired record was MORE CERTIFYING.
1. The written Word furnishes a greater variety of Divine manifestations.
2. The written Word offers opportunities to a larger number of witnesses.
3. The written Word supplies better conditions for the formation of a sound judgment.
III. The Divine revelation that he had in his own consciousness was THE MOST CERTIFYING. Peter draws a comparison between the light of the Bible and the light of Christian consciousness, and implies that the latter is far more valuable than the former.
1. The one is a lamp, the other is a "day, or morning star."
2. The one is without, the other is within.
3. The one is temporary, the other is permanent.
4. The one is the harbinger of everlasting day, the other is not necessarily so.
Parallel VersesKJV: For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.