O give thanks to the LORD; call on his name: make known his deeds among the people.
I. GRATITUDE FOR HIS MERCY is demanded.
1. The greatness of His favours.
2. The disinterestedness of His motives.
II. THE CELEBRATION OF HIS WORKS is demanded (ver. 2).
III. DELIGHT IN HIM is demanded (ver. 3). If a noble son rejoices in his father because of the nobility of his character, the greatness of his influence, the superiority of his attainments, natural and acquired, the greatness of his resources, how much more should a true man delight in the Infinite Father, the Fountain of all goodness.
IV. PURSUIT OF HIM is demanded (ver. 4).
1. For this we were made.
2. This alone is our happiness.
V. THE REMEMBRANCE OF HIM is demanded (ver. 5). There are here two subjects for memory.
1. God's wonderful works for man.
2. God's wonderful utterances to man.God has spoken to humanity many things, many times, in many lands — wonderful thought! These words should be remembered by all men.
Parallel VersesKJV: O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people.