And it shall come to pass in that day, that the remnant of Israel, and such as are escaped of the house of Jacob…
The prophet had said (ver. 12), that "the Lord would perform His whole work upon Mount Zion and upon Jerusalem," by Sennacherib's invading the land. Now here we are told what that work should be, a two-fold work —
I. THE CONVERSION OF SOME, to whom this providence should be sanctified, and yield the peaceable fruit of righteousness, though for the present it was not joyous but grievous. This remnant of Israel is said to be such as are escaped of the house of Jacob, such as escaped the corruptions of the house of Jacob, and kept their integrity in times of common apostasy. Therefore they escape the desolations of that house.
1. This remnant shall come off from all confidence in an arm of flesh; this providence shall cure them of that; they "shall no more again stay upon him that smote them." "Sufferings teach caution." They have learned, by dear-bought experience, the folly of leaning upon that staff as a stay to them which my perhaps prove a staff to beat them (Hosea 14:3).
2. They shall come home to God, to the Mighty God, one of the names given to the Messiah (Isaiah 9:6), to the Holy One of Israel. They shall return to God and shall stay upon Him. Those only may with comfort stay upon God that return to Him.
II. THE CONSUMPTION OF OTHERS. They shall be wasted away by this general decay in the midst of the land. Observe —
1. It is a consumption of God's own making.
2. It is decreed, not the product of a sudden resolve. It is particularly appointed how far it shall extend, how long it shall continue, who shall be consumed by it and who not.
3. It is an overflowing consumption, that shall overspread the land, and like a mighty torrent or inundation, bear down all before it.
4. Though it overflows, it is not at random, but in righteousness.
( Matthew Henry.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it shall come to pass in that day, that the remnant of Israel, and such as are escaped of the house of Jacob, shall no more again stay upon him that smote them; but shall stay upon the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, in truth.
WEB: It will come to pass in that day that the remnant of Israel, and those who have escaped from the house of Jacob will no more again lean on him who struck them, but shall lean on Yahweh, the Holy One of Israel, in truth.