Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom is no ficklenss…
I. ALL THE GOODNESS IN HUMAN HISTORY COMES FROM GOD. This principle applies in a specially direct manner to the spiritual forms of human good. Divine influences on the soul come directly from God. Strength, consolation, hope, holiness, are the results of the soul's fellowship with God. Christian virtues are fruits of the Divine Spirit, coming down and operating on the individual character.
II. THE DIVINE GOODNESS IN HUMAN HISTORY COMES IN SEPARATE GIFTS AND DIFFERS IN DEGREE.
1. It comes in separate gifts as man's demands arise (1 Kings 13:10).
2. It comes in different forms: physical; intellectual; spiritual. These forms differ in their intrinsic worth: "Good" — physical and intellectual; "perfect" spiritual. This subject —
(1) Sheds new light on the good of human life, and reveals its sacredness.
(2) Fixed as a habit is favourable to the culture of religious sentiment: humility; gratitude; devotedness.
(3) Reveals the stewardship of humanity.
(4) Discloses the wickedness of a selfish life.
Parallel VersesKJV: Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.