Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been declared to you from the beginning? Have you not understood since the foundation of the earth?
for the same reason, "by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power" - he has a perfect mastery over all the particulars of his creation. He not only summons the mighty armies of the skies and marshals the whole host of heaven, but he is familiar with each separate star: "He calleth them all by names." This individual attention applies to:
1. The inanimate creation (text).
2. The sentient, unintelligent creation: "Not a sparrow falls to the ground" etc.; and this fact constitutes a strong reason for forbearing from cruelty towards every living creature, and for treating all the members of the animal world with constant kindness.
3. The whole human world. Even if this doctrine were not true in other realms, it certainly must be in this. As we could not think and feel as we wish to do of the human father who failed to distinguish his children from each other, so also could we not reverence and love the heavenly Father if he failed to distinguish us. But he does not fail; "he mils us all by names;" he is the true and good Shepherd, who "calls his own sheep by name." Each one of us is:
(1) The object of his Divine thought and care. Every child of man can say, "The Lord thinketh on me.
(2) The object of his parental yearning. Away in the far country, each prodigal may be sure that there is a wronged, waiting, expectant Father, who is grieved concerning him, and who earnestly remembers him still.
(3) The object of his redeeming and self-sacrificing love. He loved me, and gave himself for me," we can all say, after the apostle.
(4) The object of his disciplinary dealing. "Whom the Lord loves he chastens, and scourges every son," etc.
(5) The object of his desire that we should share his work and his glory. To each of his disciples he says, "Follow thou me; Go [thou], and work in my vineyard.' - C.
Have ye not known?
(Prof. G. A. Smith, D. D.)
LinksIsaiah 40:21 NIV
Isaiah 40:21 NLT
Isaiah 40:21 ESV
Isaiah 40:21 NASB
Isaiah 40:21 KJV
Isaiah 40:21 Bible Apps
Isaiah 40:21 Parallel
Isaiah 40:21 Biblia Paralela
Isaiah 40:21 Chinese Bible
Isaiah 40:21 French Bible
Isaiah 40:21 German Bible
Isaiah 40:21 Commentaries