Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said to them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families…
I. CHRIST SLAIN BY US. The lamb's blood was not only shed for them, but also by them. The crucifying of Jesus by the Jews, the revelation of what lies in every unrenewed heart. "They shall look upon him whom they have pierced."
II. WHAT IS NEEDFUL FOR SALVATION.
1. Appropriating faith. It was the blood applied with their own hands to the door of the dwelling that saved those within. It is not enough that the blood be shed. Is it upon our gates? Have we set it by faith between us and destruction?
2. It must be applied as God directs us. It was sprinkled on the lintel and doorposts - not within, but without. It is not enough that we believe. We must make open profession of our faith.
3. We must abide within until the day dawn and salvation come. To put that blood (which should be between us and the world) behind us, no longer to hide within it but to forget it, is to renounce salvation. Are we without or within the blood-stained gateway? We are saved if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end.
II. GOD'S COVENANT GIVES PERFECT SECURITY (ver. 25). The shed blood stands between us and death. The awe and joy of redeemed Israel, a faint emblem of the awe and joy which we shall feel, who shall see the judgment of sin but only from afar.
IV. THE DUTY OF THE REDEEMED.
1. Perpetual remembrance (ver. 23). We must, in the ordinance of Christ's own appointment, shew his death till he come.
2. The handing down the knowledge of salvation (vers. 26, 27). Christians should glory in the story of the Cross.
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover.