And he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.…
This part of the vision has respect to Joshua and his accuser. It exhibits Joshua —
I. WITH RESPECT TO HIS CONDITION. View him —
1. In his office. High priest. One part of his duty was to consult the Divine will in matters of difficulty. Another part was to intercede on behalf of the nation. Possibly he was now before God, confessing the sins of the people, and pleading for that pardon which a God of mercy is ever ready to bestow.
2. In what place was Joshua executing his office? The temple was not built, and the particular place is not named. He was "standing before the Angel of the Lord." This was the Lord Jesus Christ, the Angel of the Covenant.
II. HIS ENEMY. Satan means adversary. Look at —
1. The actings of the adversary. Satan stood at Joshua's right hand. But why? To resist him. But he might do this either by tempting Joshua or by accusing him. The right hand was the usual place for accusers in public.
2. What were his motives for accusing Joshua? His motives as a tempter we can well understand; but what were his motives for accusing Joshua of negligence in the work of God? Did Satan then wish that the work of God should go on vigorously?
III. HIS ADVOCATE, Jehovah Himself. The Lords defence of Joshua is grounded —
1. In His love toward the Church.
2. On His past mercy to Joshua. The defence which the Lord Jesus makes for His people now is substantially the same as it was then. Past mercies are grounds of Christian confidence, and should be viewed as pledges of future blessings.
IV. THE APPAREL OF JOSHUA. "Filthy garments." Probably the garments worn in the time of captivity.
1. His dress was unsuitable.
2. Suitable apparel was provided for him. "I will clothe thee with change of raiment." The righteousness of Christ is to all, and upon all, them that believe. Ask —
(1) Are we attending to our duties?
(2) Are we sensible of our defects?
(3) Are we confiding in an Almighty Advocate?
(J. R. Woodford, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.