1 Thessalonians 2:19-20
For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?…
I. THE REASONS UPON WHICH CHRIST'S FAITHFUL MINISTERS ARE SO SERIOUSLY ENGAGED IN SAVING SOULS, making it the great object of their desire and hope, the scope of their prayers, and the business of their lives.
1. The Divine command and charge laid upon them (Acts 20:28; Colossians 4:17; 2 Timothy 4:1, 2; 1 Corinthians 9:16).
2. The Spirit and Grace of Christ. They preach no unknown Saviour, but one in whom and in whose work they have a special interest (Romans 10:1; Galatians 4:19; Acts 20:31; 2 Corinthians 12:15).
3. The example of Christ, who came "to seek and save the lost"; and whose meat was to "do the will of His Father," etc.
4. The worth of souls.
5. The danger they are in from the world without and corruption within.
6. The price paid for souls (Acts 20:28).
7. The strict account they will have to give of their ministry (Ezekiel 3:17, 18).
8. Future glory.
II. THE JOY THEY WILL HAVE IN THE SOULS THEY WIN IN THE PRESENCE OF JESUS CHRIST.
1. Every recovered soul will be a jewel added to their crown.
2. Their converts will be eternally safe.
3. They will spend eternity in their company whom they have loved most below.
4. They will receive the special commendation of the Lord.Conclusion.
1. How important the work of labouring for souls.
2. The prospect should animate pastors and people in times of depression.
3. How heavy will be the doom of those who have despised the preached gospel.
Parallel VersesKJV: For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?