Then said the LORD to me, Though Moses and Samuel stood before me, yet my mind could not be toward this people…
I. INTERCESSORY PRAYER IS AN EXERCISE OF GREAT VALUE.
1. As developing our love to man. Interesting ourselves in his trials, seeking to save him from his sins.
2. As carrying out the Divine precepts. In the spirit of Christ, in the fellowship of life.
3. As following after noble examples.
4. As obtaining great blessings for others.
II. INTERCESSORY PRAYER CAN BE OFFERED ONLY BY GOOD MEN.
1. He must not be under the sin against which he prays.
2. He should know by experience the value of the blessing he craves for another.
3. He must be willing to join effort with prayer.
III. INTERCESSORY PRAYER HAS SOME LIMITATIONS EVEN WHEN OFFERED BY THE BEST OF MEN. This is evident —
1. From Scripture.
2. From observation.
IV. INTERCESSORY PRAYER IS A GRAND DISTINCTION AND PROVISION OF THE GOSPEL. We have —
1. The best of intercessors (Hebrews 7:25). In office, sympathy, work, influence.
2. Praying for the best of blessings. Salvation, preservation, comfort, glory.
3. Taking up the ease of every soul that trusts Him.
4. Always successful.
Parallel VersesKJV: Then said the LORD unto me, Though Moses and Samuel stood before me, yet my mind could not be toward this people: cast them out of my sight, and let them go forth.