And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness to all nations; and then shall the end come.
I. The kingdom of Christ, as a kingdom of control, set up in the hearts of His followers.
1. It controls the opinions. They who are under this kingdom are obliged to believe all the truths of the Bible.
2. It controls the will. God makes it criminal to choose the evil and refuse the good.
3. It controls the belief of mankind. The subjects of this kingdom are called upon to trust in Christ, and in Him only, for salvation.
4. It controls the affections — "Thou shalt love," etc. It controls the temper, pride, and all those feelings which are akin to it.
II. THERE IS INFINITE MERCY IN SUCH CONTROL.
1. Without it the opinions of mankind have ever been tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine.
2. There is mercy in a control being exercised over the will. Man is in a wilderness of sin, etc.
3. Were it not for this, every man might form a system of belief for himself, etc.
4. Man's affections are collected to one point.
III. The gospel shall be preached for WITNESS. Of human depravity. Of the method of reconciliation with God, etc.
Parallel VersesKJV: And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.