And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness to all nations; and then shall the end come.
1. That there are ends to be answered by the publication of the gospel, over and above the gathering in of a remnant from the mass of human kind. The statement is simply that the gospel is to be preached for a witness.
2. We are bound to ascertain the nature of this witness, in order that we may understand the responsibleness laid on all who ever heard the gospel, and the ends which are answered by its publication.
3. You are sufficiently acquainted with the nature of the gospel to regard it as an authoritative account of all that is benevolent, and all that is awful in Deity.
4. It is not an uncertain and unaccredited witness, but one which carries with it its credentials in all its marchings over the face of the globe.
5. The witness of the gospel hereafter. The gospel is now a witness to warn and direct; hereafter it will accuse and condemn.
(H. Melvill, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.