Now these are the names of the tribes. From the north end to the coast of the way of Hethlon, as one goes to Hamath, Hazarenan…
I. If God is there, there are SOME THINGS THAT WILL BE FOUND ALONG WITH HIM.
1. Light. Men go to the sanctuary oppressed by the same questions as of old. Deep calleth unto deep from age to age. In God's house should be the answers to the heart's deepest needs.
2. Life. Where God comes, death is vanquished. Spiritual life is like physical, and a mystery, but it must be fed; and a table is spread in the house of God.
3. Liberty. In the city of God all are free. In His house men are manumitted. To set the captives free is the first aim of the Gospel.
II. But if God is there, there ARE SOME THINGS THAT WILL NOT BE THERE.
1. Divisions. Some Churches torn by factions. What is aimed at is not unity in the faith — that will never be gained — but unity in the spirit.
2. Defections. It is sad when men leave church, but sadder when they leave Christ. If God is there, life becomes richer, service fuller, and love true to death.
3. Defeat. Strong weapons are being used against it. Criticism, indifference, ridicule, are doing their best. But the cause must go on to victory, because "the Lord is there."
Parallel VersesKJV: Now these are the names of the tribes. From the north end to the coast of the way of Hethlon, as one goeth to Hamath, Hazarenan, the border of Damascus northward, to the coast of Hamath; for these are his sides east and west; a portion for Dan.
WEB: Now these are the names of the tribes: From the north end, beside the way of Hethlon to the entrance of Hamath, Hazar Enan at the border of Damascus, northward beside Hamath, (and they shall have their sides east [and] west), Dan, one [portion].