2 Peter 3:18
But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
I. THE MEANING OF THE EXPRESSION ITSELF. "Grow in grace." The Christian is not a lifeless machine. He is not to satisfy himself with going through a cold round of duties. Wherein are you improved?
II. THE MEANS OF GROWING IN GRACE.
1. Faith, to be strong, must be exercised. Commit your ways to God. Trust Him. Your faith will increase.
2. Another means which may be suggested is prayer. If you will only wrestle with God in prayer as Jacob did, you will succeed.
3. I may specify Scriptural reading.
4. A further and most important means for advancing in our heavenward journey is meditation upon the promises of God.
5. I will only mention one other means of growth in grace, self-examination. Prevention is better than cure; when you know your deficiencies, then you may guard against them; thus mischief may be kept away.
III. WE ARE NOT TO SUPPOSE, HOWEVER, THAT OUR COURSE IS TO BE ONE OF CONTINUED SUCCESS. There are many hindrances.
1. I may name, as the chief hindrance, the corruption of our hearts.
2. Connected with this hindrance is that which I may term the weakness of the flesh.
3. I pass on to that indifference to the truth of religious doctrines now so common amongst men. It leads men away from the contemplation of Christ. It makes them afraid to maintain their cause boldly before their fellows. Their minds become less affected with the sense of the preciousness of Jesus.
IV. I will not add any lengthened detail of THE ENCOURAGEMENTS to seek this growth in grace. The certainty of success. Your Father which is in heaven will help you.
(H. M. Villiers, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.