But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret…
1. The place. As solitary as possible.
2. The Being. He is in secret — invisible — omniscient. Realization of the Divine presence.
3. The spirit — filial.
1. From the relation which He sustains.
2. From the prerogative which He exerts. He sees the suppliant.
3. From the reward which He bestows, present and future.
I. The duty and necessity.
II. The employments and enjoyments.
III. The many advantages.
IV. The lamentable consequences of neglecting secret devotion.
Parallel VersesKJV: But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.