Exodus 13:1, 2
And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,…
I. THE MEANING OF THE TYPE.
1. Man's first-born the type of the first-born of God, in his authority and priestly function among his brethren, and as the object of the father's love and trust.
2. In Egypt's and Israel's first:born we find the two-fold type of Christ and his people. Egypt's die, Israel's are saved. The death of Egypt's first-born bursts the bends of Israel, the death of God's first-born, the bonds of his people.
II. GOD'S DEMAND.
1. His claim upon the saved life: "It is mine."
(1) His right to our service. He has bought us with a great price.
(2) His delight in us. We are a treasure and a joy to him. Because he loved us he gave Christ to die for us.
2. The life which Christ has redeemed is to be set apart for God (Romans 12:1).
(1) With full purpose of heart.
(2) Under the power of Christ's love: "the love of Christ con-straineth us."
(3) With unceasing prayer for the Spirit's indwelling.
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,