And he spoke a parable to them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;…
I. Consider THE PARABLE ITSELF.
II. Inquire, WHAT IS MEANT BY IMPORTUNITY IN PRAYER.
III. Let us next consider WHY IMPORTUNITY IS SAID TO PREVAIL WITH GOD.
1. Because it consists in the exercise of pious and amiable feelings.
2. Because the frequent exercise of such feelings has a tendency to form pious and virtuous habits; and such habits are qualifications for higher society and purer happiness than this world affords.
3. Because the frequent excitement of such feelings fits us for receiving the blessings we ask.
IV. We may shortly observe, from what our Saviour has said in the seventh and eighth verses, that HE SEEMS TO INSINUATE THAT SOMETHING LIKE A STATE OF PERSECUTION WILL TAKE PLACE ABOUT THE TIME OF HIS SECOND COMING. For why should the elect be represented as crying to God day and night, unless they were in a suffering state?
1. We may conclude that many will despond and cease to believe that God will interfere in their favour.
2. It also necessarily follows that, after the second coming of Jesus, God will avenge His elect, and that suddenly and completely.
(J. Thomson, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;