2 Peter 1:5-7
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;…
I. THE MEANING OF THE WORD. II. THE DESCRIPTION OF THIS CHARACTERISTIC AS BELONGING TO A CHRISTIAN.
1. What a Christian ought to be. Not feeble, vacillating, pusillanimous; but brave, strong, trustworthy.
2. How a Christian ought to endure.
3. How a Christian ought to resist.
III. THE NEED FOR THIS CHARACTERISTIC. There is no high goodness without strength.
IV. THE WAY TO THE ATTAINMENT OF VIRTUE.
1. A deep conviction of its necessity.
2. Fellowship with heroes who have embodied it.
3. Communion with its great source.
4. Exercise of as much of it as we possess.
(U. R. Thomas.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;