And one of the elders answered, saying to me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and from where came they?…
I. THEIR EARTHLY LIFE WAS MARKED BY GREAT TRIAL.
1. This should teach us contentment under our trials.
2. This should inspire us with magnanimity under our trials.
II. THEIR CELESTIAL CIRCUMSTANCES ARE PRE-EMINENTLY GLORIOUS.
1. Their appearance.
2. Their employment.
3. Their companionship.
4. Their blessedness.
III. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE EARTHLY AND HEAVENLY CONDITION IS ATTRIBUTABLE TO CHRIST.
1. They were originally polluted.
2. The self-sacrifice of Christ has a purifying influence.
3. Their cleansing by this influence had taken place when on earth.
(D. Thomas, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?