From where come wars and fights among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?…
I. THE CAUSE IS SOMETIMES NON-ASKING. There are some blessings that God gives without asking — such as being, faculties, seasons, elements of nature, &c.; others that He gives only for asking — spiritual blessings.
1. What does prayer do?
(1) It effects no alteration in the plan of God.
(2) It cannot inform the Almighty of anything of which tie was before ignorant.
(3) It does not give a claim to the Divine favours.
2. But —
(1) It does fulfil a condition of Divine beneficence.
(2) It does bring the mind into vital contact with its Maker.
(3) It does deepen our sense of dependence upon God.
(4) It does fill the soul with the idea of mediation; for all prayer is "in the name of Christ."
II. THE CAUSE IS SECRETARIES WRONG ASKING.
1. TO pray insincerely is to pray amiss.
2. Without earnestness.
3. Without faith.
4. Without surrendering our being to God.
Parallel VersesKJV: From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?