1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear: because fear has torment. He that fears is not made perfect in love.
I. A SOUL-TORMENTING FEAR.
1. This slavish fear is co extensive with the unregenerate race. A slavish fear of —
2. This slavish fear is ever associated with mental suffering. It makes the present miserable by its horrid forebodings of the future.
II. A FEAR-EXPELLING LOVE. This includes —
1. A consciousness that God loves us.
2. A settled confidence in God's fatherly regard for us.
3. The influential dwelling of God within us.
4. The extinction by God of all selfishness within us.Conclusion: This subject —
1. Supplies the test of true religion.
2. Indicates the criterion of true preaching.
3. Shows the philosophy of the gospel.
(D. Thomas, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.