He which testifies these things said, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
I. SOME OF THE GREAT EVENTS WHICH WILL MOST UNQUESTIONABLY TAKE PLACE AT OUR SAVIOUR'S SECOND APPEARANCE.
1. He will come again with inexpressible dignity and grandeur.
2. The resurrection of the dead is another glorious result of our Saviour's second appearance.
3. The dissolution of this globe will be the awful consequence, also, of our Saviour's reappearance.
II. FOR WHAT PURPOSE THESE GREAT EVENTS WILL TAKE PLACE ON OUR SAVIOUR'S REAPPEARANCE.
1. Jesus will come again to vindicate the honour of the Divine administration, and to evince the admirable wisdom and justice with which it has been administered.
2. The eternal separation of the virtuous from the wicked.
3. The equitable and unerring distribution of eternal rewards and punishments which will then take place.Lessons:
1. The consideration of our Saviour's second coming to reward every one according to his works, should have a permanent influence on our present temper and conduct.
2. The appointment of our Saviour to be our Judge is a merciful condescension to the weakness and imperfection of our natures, which would be overwhelmed by the infinite splendour of that Almighty Being, in whose presence the angels cover their faces with their wings, which would be otherwise dazzled with such immensity of glory.
(A. Stirling, LL. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.