Give us this day our daily bread.
I. We put the emphasis on "DAILY BREAD."
1. Bread means that which is needful to support the life of the body.
2. That which is needful to support all our life in this world.
3. Is prayer that we may have enough.
II. We would now separate the phrase "GIVE us" that we may think over its special meaning.
1. It implies acknowledgment of dependence.
2. We know that giving is His delight.
3. We mean, give this, for thou art our Father.
4. We mean, through a blessing on our own right use of means.
5. When common means are not within our power, by means of Thine own.
III. Place the emphasis on "OUR." We do not ask for the bread belonging to others.
IV. We next dwell on "THIS DAY."
V. This petition suggests A HIGHER PETITION — for heavenly broad.
Parallel VersesKJV: Give us this day our daily bread.