Give us this day our daily bread.
I. Certain SUPPOSITIONS appear to be made in this petition.
1. That temporal blessings are necessary for our happiness.
2. That we can look for them only as they are the free gift of God.
3. It supposes our right to this form of good to be forfeited and lost.
II. The FORMS OF DESIRED GOOD which are to be commended under this clause.
1. Bread the representative of all forms of temporal blessings; a healthy mind, continued energy, for the duties of our calling.
2. The Divine blessing on the gifts we have. Let us never ask for bread without the blessing.
III. Practical LESSONS.
1. A protest against our sumptuous and luxurious living.
2. Against all covetous and inordinate desires.
3. Against carefulness.
4. An admonition to mercifulness and brotherly love.
5. Prayer must be a "daily" exercise of the Christian life.
(D. Moore, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Give us this day our daily bread.