And he said, My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest.
This is a word in season to every one who is weary.
I. IN WHAT SENSE HAS GOD SAID, "MY PRESENCE SHALL GO WITH THEE"? He is present to the believer as a Friend whose love has been accepted, and whose conversation is understood with all the intelligence of a kindred nature.
II. IN WHAT SENSE DOES THE PRESENCE OF GOD GIVE REST?
1. It tends to give rest from the terror incident to a state of condemnation.
2. It gives rest from the anguish which springs from a discordant nature.
3. It gives rest from the cravings of an unsatisfied spirit.
4. It gives rest from the distraction felt amidst uncongenial scenes and associations.
5. It gives rest from the disquietude which results from want of human sympathy.
6. It gives rest from apprehensions regarding the future.
7. The presence of God with us now is the pledge of perfect rest in the next life.
(C. Stanford, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest.