But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all your works.
I. EXPLAIN WHAT IS MEANT BY SUCH DEVOTIONAL SPIRIT. Note then —
1. Its means — prayer, etc.
2. Its refuge — God.
3. Its exercises.
II. ITS IMPORTANCE AND ADVANTAGES.
1. Such spirit furthers holiness.
2. Helps the understanding of Divine truth.
3. Becomes a habit full of help to the soul. Is —
4. One of the strongest safeguards against temptation.
5. Cultivates all the Christian graces.
6. Fixes his heart.
7. Is humble, tender, childlike.
8. Gives increase in holiness, which but for it would yield no help (Psalm 104.).
9. Hangs round the very essentials of religion — Christ, God, the promises, etc.
(I. S. Spencer, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.
WEB: But it is good for me to come close to God. I have made the Lord Yahweh my refuge, that I may tell of all your works. A contemplation by Asaph.