Then was Jesus led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
I. The necessity for some moral testing at the outset of life.
II. Preparations for testing come in our outward circumstances.
III. Such testings, or temptings, take a great variety of forms.
IV. The essence of all such testing is the finding out whether we really mean to live for Self or to live for God.
V. The force to resist evil lies in having our will set on God.
VI. The weapons with which to resist evil are God's Word. Learn: —
1. Well-taught childhood prepares for the temptations of life.
2. Early decision for Christ is the best safeguard against the tempter's power.
3. Temptations come to men still in the same three forms as they did to Jesus (1 John 2:16).
4. We only conquer as we are strong in God and in His Word.
5. A first conquest of evil should not lead us to think that the Tempter is conquered, nor make us cease to " watch and be sober."
(W. O. Simpson)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.