He that believes on him is not condemned: but he that believes not is condemned already…
I. A FACT STATED. "Light is come in the world."
1. The light of conscience which —
(1) Condemns or approves now.
(2) Is prophetic of future acceptance or condemnation.
2. The light of nature.
(1) Astronomy teaches us the existence of an Almighty Creator.
(2) Microscopy reveals one infinite in resources.
(3) The wonderful order of nature shows one manifold in wisdom.
(4) The beneficence of providential arrangements exhibits one conspicuously good
3. The light of Divine revelation.
(1) Confirming the lessons of natural theology.
(2) Making known to us the provisions of redemption.
4. The light of the Holy Spirit.
(1) Enlightening the mind.
(2) Teaching the way of salvation.
(3) Guiding into all truth.
(4) Witnessing to our adoption.
5. The light of reason.
(1) To this faculty God directs His revelation.
(2) This faculty vindicates the claims of Christianity as consistent with the principles of human nature and the attributes of God.
II. MAN'S PERVERSENESS ILLUSTRATED. "Men loved darkness rather than light." Darkness signifies ignorance and sin; light, knowledge, and purity. How strange the sinners infatuation.
1. Instead of paying attention to the inward monitor, he seeks its destruction.
2. Men walk about the temple of nature and admire its workmanship, but see no Supreme Being.
3. Men have the Word of God and treat it as a fable:
4. They resist to grieve the Holy Spirit.
5. They reject the great salvation.
III. THE REASON ASSIGNED FOR THIS MORAL OBLIQUITY. "Because their deeds were evil."
1. Sin is not an accident of our lives.
2. Sin is the choice and love of our hearts.
IV. MAN'S CONSEQUENT CONDEMNATION.
1. Sinners are condemned in this life.
2. Sinners will be condemned in the life to come.
Parallel VersesKJV: He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.