And he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.…
I. JOSHUA'S MINISTRY AND DEFENCE.
1. He stood to minister before the Lord. Whereby we learn —
(1) That as ministers of the Lord have their mission from Him, so they ought to receive instruction from Him.
(2) Having received instructions, they ought with all readiness to obey them.
(3) That they are always in the eye of God, to counsel them in their duties, to search them in their performances, to hear them in their petitions, to protect them in their dangers.
2. He stood as a defendant, as one accused, to answer for himself and others. The sins of the age were then general, such as, neglect of building the temple, marrying strange wives, etc.
II. SATAN AND HIS WORK AGAINST JOSHUA.
1. He withstands us as a tempter. If we do our duty, Satan is at our right hand to hinder us; if we do not our duty, he is there to accuse us. He stands at the working hand. Usually, the more work the more temptation, and the more public the work the more sharp and eager the temptation.
2. He opposes as an accuser. He resisted Joshua by stirring up the Samaritans to hinder the building of the temple. He resisted him in his ministry, by accusing him of his failings. What these were we may guess.
(1) He ministered not in the priest's robes, but in filthy garments.
(2) He delayed the building of the temple.
(3) His sons were, some of them, defiled with strange wives.
III. THE ADVOCATE — THE LORD. Christ is the Church's Advocate. Satan is at our right hand; Christ is at God's right hand. Joshua does not plead his own cause; he answers by his Counsel, his Advocate pleads for him.
IV. THE DOUBLE FOUNDATION OF THIS VICTORY.
I. God's gracious election. "The Lord which hath chosen Jerusalem, rebuke thee." The doctrine of adoption by free grace is the strongest weapon that we can wield against the malice of Satan.
2. Joshua's past deliverance. "Is not this a brand plucked from the fire?" Past mercies are pledges of more. If God snatch out of the fire, He will bring unto His temple: if He lay a foundation, He will bring forth the headstone.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.