And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus.…
I. THE GRACE OF GOD ELEVATING THE NATURAL MAN. Characteristics of Saul appearing in the new phase of his life.
1. Intelligence. He is ready to grapple with subtle antagonists, lie seizes the great central truth of the gospel - the Messiahship of Jesus. He employs his vast knowledge of the Old Testament Scriptures.
2. Boldness and energy. Not even waiting for opportunity, but making it; entering the synagogues, producing amazement by his vehemence.
3. Self-surrender to Christ, as before consuming zeal for the Law. Where he was expected as the persecutor, there he appears as the convert. All sense of shame swallowed up in devotion to Christ.
II. THE TRUE METHOD OF SPIRITUAL ADVANCEMENT. He "increased the more in strength."
1. Conviction deepens by speaking. Many lose strength by remaining silent. Work for Christ lifts up the heart. The idle ones doubt; the active ones are cheerful.
2. The sense of victory a great help, both to individuals and the Church. A bold aggressive policy specially demanded. In proving the doctrine, we must advance into the midst of the opponents. Especially should those that can speak of great grace not be ashamed of Jesus. Personal testimonies have remarkable power. Let the world be amazed.
3. The gifts of the Spirit should not be restrained. Something for each one to do. If we cannot speak, we can proclaim Christ by the active life of benevolence. The disciples at Damascus gained great strength from the example of Saul. An earnest Church creates an earnest minister, and an earnest minister an earnest Church. - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus.