And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises to God: and the prisoners heard them.
But about midnight, etc. Power of facts to speak for Christ. The miracles of Christ accompanied his message. "Believe the works." We must push this evidence of facts on unbelievers, because they are not prepared to open their hearts to the truth.
I. A BRIGHT EXAMPLE OF FAITH.
1. It overcame fear, shame, suffering.
2. It lay hold of the future - praying and praising, under the influence of hope. The time was midnight, but there was morning in their souls.
3. It was faith which was proved by experience; they remembered past deliverances. "His love in time past," etc.
II. GOD WORKS WITH HIS PEOPLE.
1. He opens their lips, when the world would shut them. The inner prison and the stocks cannot silence truth. The audience is there - the prisoners and the Roman jailor.
2. Fellow-workers called in. "The earth helped the woman (Revelation 12:16). God is doing much under the surface of events. Streams of providential government unite with streams of spiritual influence. The revival of intelligence and humanism preceding the Reformation. The two great currents of the eighteenth century, spiritual and political; and now science helps the advancement of Christianity.
3. Leave God to find opportunity for us. Be patient, and hope to the end. The trouble of Christianity to the world works out peace. - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.