And Moses took the anointing oil, and anointed the tabernacle and all that was therein, and sanctified them.…
The tabernacle, the altar, the vessels, the laver and its foot, Aaron the high priest. The main intention to lift up the thoughts of all, both priests and people, to Jehovah as the Source of all good gifts. The sprinkling was seven times, to denote the covenant relation between God and Israel.
I. The service of God requires SPECIAL CONSECRATION - both of persons and places and instrumentalities.
1. To keep the world's corruption away.
2. To exalt the faculties and feelings.
3. To help us to maintain the remembrance of the Divine covenant, and therefore to lay hold by special intercourse with God of his gifts.
4. To enable us, by concentration of efforts, to make the influence of religion more powerful in the world. Great mistake to suppose that, by breaking down distinctions between the believing and the unbelieving, the multitudes are brought nearer to God; on the contrary, the effect is to lessen the spiritual efficacy of religious ordinances, and to postpone the triumph of God's people.
II. The TRUE ANOINTING OF THE SPIRIT, THE TRUE DISTINCTION OF THE MINISTRY AND OF THE MEANS EMPLOYED.
1. Distinguish between the rite itself and its fulfillment. Man anoints with oil, God with the Spirit. The two baptisms with water and with the Holy Ghost.
2. Special responsibility of those in office for the possession of spiritual power. We must not worship our own nets. They are nothing if not successful. By their fruits the living trees will be known.
3. God will be inquired of to bestow his grace; the anointing by his commandment was a renewal of his promise to bestow his gifts when they are asked. It was a covenant ceremony, and represented a covenant life.
4. Spiritual men engaged in the fulfillment of spiritual duties will, as much as possible, separate themselves from all earthly entanglements and incumbrances. The oil was poured on the head of the priest, and flowed downwards to the skirts of his garments, to signify that he must be totally possessed by the claims of his office, and endowed in every energy and act by the bestowment of the Spirit. What an encouragement to holiness, and at the same time what an incentive to prayer! We are kings and priests. If we forget our anointing, we not only lose our priestly purity, but our princely power over the world. A degraded priesthood the curse of the Church and the plague of mankind. A revived ministry the hope of the future. "Brethren, pray for us." "Ye have an unction from the Holy One." - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: And Moses took the anointing oil, and anointed the tabernacle and all that was therein, and sanctified them.